Friday, July 13, 2012

Denied Comic Con Coverage

We are DirecTV subscribers. So this week's nastiness between DirecTV and Viacom, has been inconvenient.

At first I wasn't all that upset about it, a bit irritated about it, but not a huge amount.

Until this morning, when I found out from a friend, that Spike TV would be airing coverage from Comic Con 2012. Comic Con where there will be a Firefly cast reunion, where Henry Cavill will be there promoting his role as Superman, where all number of cool things will be covered. My irritation turned to irate anger at the injustice of it all.

So what it boils down to for me is this. Two behemouth entertainment entities are in a war of words, trying to turn the public against one another. They are in a giant game of chicken, to see who will flinch first and made a concession.

In the midst of this, I can't help but wonder what would happen if I pro-rated my DirecTV bill for the missing channels for as long as this outage lasts. Something tells me that I will have the threat of my satellite servie being cut off.

I'm tired of being under the thumb of corporations. And I long for the days of a simpler life.

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

I'm beginning to wonder when corporate greed will collapse all of these industries and we will have no choice but to find pursuits that don't involve the media.

It's also fascinating to me how much we, as a society, depend on TV. Our addiction and desire to watch instead of do. Sure, there are great opportunities to learn and great entertainment value, but hell, where has the imagination gone? I don't see any kids riding their bikes pretending they are on an elaborate drive and talking to imaginary friends!

Of course, I watch only the news on cable and very rarely anything else, nor do I play with my imaginary friends anymore. So maybe I'm just out of touch!